Monday, February 2, 2015

I decided to Google "weight loss blogs" into my computer.  This is the first one I clicked onhttp://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2014/11/05/how-to-recover-from-binge-eating/  Binge eating…something I struggle with?  You betcha!  I am not certain that I knew that…er…admitted that until I read the blog of what she goes through when she is on a binge.  It was scary to how well I could relate.  You can read the article, she makes some pretty good points but it got me to thinking.  I don't do it near as much as I used to, and when I do I think of some key things I have done in the past to help prevent it.  It's mostly mind work, but I am going to try to recollect and list some things here.  Please excuse the messiness of this blog and my thoughts…they are pretty raw.

1.  Entitlement.  We all have entitlement issues, especially when it comes to eating.  I try to remember to ask myself why I think I should be allowed to have this.  So here is an example.

 I have a goal, 2 pound weight loss this week.  The week goes by and it was a success!  I only lost 1.5 pounds, but I stuck to everything I was supposed to.  I start next week, Monday I do great!  Tuesday is here and I can feel my weight beginning to budge, I can feel it because I am darn hungry!  NO, a celery stick isn't going to cut it this time!  I deserve just a few crackers, or something sweet, I have done good!  How about a bowl of cereal (a very personal weakness that turns into two bowls) just one little bowl.  Begin inner dialogue
"The weather is really crappy, and you know how you crave sweets when the weather is bad."
"You worked out today, there has to be some calorie allowance in there."
 "Okay, just grab a handful and eat them dry."

Enter reality, and the keys to prevent acting on my addiction

  Then I have to ask myself…
"What number did you want to see on the scale at the end of this week?" (this is attention to my goal)  "Why do you feel you are entitled to this cheat?"
 "Is there any other food you can grab?" (fruit, a small handful of nuts if it fits into my calorie allowance, celery stick, prepared soup)

When that thought doesn't work, I have to send in reinforcement:
"Go to the refrigerator, grab a stick of celery, or a carrot, or heat up some soup, DO IT"

So I do it, then I feel better.  I have succeeded.

I don't want to talk about what happens when I don't listen to that voice, but I listen to the one that goes for the cereal.  I am left with an angry, guilty conscience.  I wish I would have at least tried my other method first.  I am tired and crashing from my sugar high.  Now all I do is crave sugar the rest of the day, and many more repercussions we all have them.

2. Plan ahead.  This can be challenging.  We all have lives, but let's face it.  If we want the big changes we envision, then we need to make sacrifices and big changes in our lives.
Prep your food!  Make little meals for yourself that already have the calories counted.  I am not good at doing it all in one day for the week, so I do things in the morning, like make a salad, or a sandwich.  The easiest thing for me to make ahead is Soup.  One of my favorite soups is cream of asparagus by Dr. Fuhrman.
Cream of Asparagus Soup 
Ingredients 
1 pound fresh asparagus, chopped 
2 tablespoons Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest (I use Krogers zesty seasoning only 1 tbsp)
2 cups water 
1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos 
1 cup unsweetened soy, almond or hemp milk 
1/4 C almonds 1/4C cashews, or 1/2 C of one kind of nut
4 pitted dates 
chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish 
Instructions 
Simmer asparagus, VegiZest, water, and aminos in a soup pot until asparagus is tender. Blend in a 
high-powered blender, with soy milk, cashews, and dates, until smooth. Garnish with cilantro before 
serving. 
I typed in this link to find the asparagus recipe, and if you scroll through the comments you will find several yummy looking recipes!!!

3. Leave (go to the library or anywhere away from your kitchen) or find a way to be incredibly busy doing whatever keeps your interest.

I came home today cold and hungry.  I had already eaten a good sized breakfast (a fruit sandwich with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter) so the excuses weren't even coming!  For me a warm cup of herbal tea will not only fill me up, it will soothe me, and help me to get warmed up.

 I took my tea into my office and got away from the kitchen.  If you work outside the home, make sure you have your lunch pre made AND bring a snack that will help you resist the doughnuts someone brought in for Sue's birthday.  When I helped out at the school for family fun night, I just knew there was going to be a lot of sweet treats there, so I ate dinner before I left, and shoved a 100 calorie packet of chocolate covered pretzels in my pocket, not so that I should eat them no matter what, but because I know myself and I wanted to have a weapon.

 I am not big on hundred calorie packs, or processed food, but I am also realistic, and I knew that crappy processed food was going to save the day when I needed it to.  It wasn't long before my 12 year old was asking me to hold her cupcake for a second.  It was at that moment that I patted my pocket and smiled.  I survived that night AND had a few calories left over for when I got home :)

So I will close for now, and hope I have time to write more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment