Thursday, August 8, 2013

     I am always looking for fabulous ways to stretch without actually attending a Yoga class.  It's not that I have anything against Yoga, at least now I don't.  I just do not have to time to attend a class.  I guess if I really wanted to go to one I would make the time, but for the sake of this read, I am not going.

     I was in the gym not so long ago and I was doing my measly cool down stretches when I looked behind me and seen a yogi. Here is the definition for the word Yogi: "One who practices yoga and has achieved a high level of spiritual insight."  There, I have just saved you a trip to the Urban Dictionary site. (I avoid that site for obvious reasons).  Yogi's tend to be friendly people willing to share their techniques, so I began copying her every move.  It did not take long for her to notice me and we struck up a conversation.  I told her that I wanted to develop my core and be able to stand and put my shoe and sock on, while standing the whole time.  She looked at me and said "If that's all you want to do, maybe you should broaden your goals."  We talked some more, she had some things to say that creeped me out, and I went on my way.  

     I left thinking, "Do I need to broaden my core goals?"  To me, if I can stand the entire time on one leg while putting on my sock and shoe, and tying it, then I am golden!  I am not trying to join the circus for crying out loud.  

     Over the past 5 weeks in my schooling, we have been programming the stabilization phase of the OPT model for ourselves and for one classmate.  I worked and progressed core exercises for 4 weeks, and this morning friends, I was able to stand and put on one sock and one shoe (not tied) without losing my balance!!!  Next phase is strength and endurance super set with stabilization, so I will be getting stronger all over, CANT WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment